National Leadership Seminar
The National Leadership Seminar (NLS) is a weekend conference on the skills and attributes of leadership. It is intended primarily to enhance the leadership skills of the Order of the Arrow's key youth and adult members as they seek to improve their services to the Boy Scouts of America and the greater community. The weekend format is designed to complement the longer, more detailed Wood Badge and Junior Leadership Training programs. NLS prepares Arrowmen to become better leaders both within and outside of the Scouting program.
NLS Learning Outcomes
By the end of NLS, learners will be able to:
1. Recognize their leadership abilities
2. Utilize self-awareness to show ethical leadership
3. Adapt to situations around you
4. Cultivate a mindset of resilience
5. Integrate a values-based framework into your leadership
6. Distinguish the strengths of others
7. Generate a renewed passion for service
Who should attend NLS?
It is recommended that youth participants be at least 15 years of age or a lodge officer. Completion of Lodge Leadership Development (LLD) is desirable. The seminar is an intensive experience in learning about the nature of leadership and practicing some of the skills that a leader uses, while it is designed to be fun, the course challenges participants mentally as well. Participants should be developmentally, physically, and mentally prepared to actively engage in an exhausting, invigorating weekend.
Upcoming Course Dates
March 9 - 11, 2018- Alpine, New Jersey - 441 Route 9W, Alpine, NJ 07620
April 20 - 22, 2018- Hidden Valley Scout Camp - Gilmanton Iron Works, NH
November 9 - 11, 2018- Alpine, New Jersey - 441 Route 9W, Alpine, NJ 07620
To register for NLS, talk to your lodge chief or lodge adviser.
If you have questions about NLS, or would like more information, email Northeast Region Chief Justin St. Louis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to bring to NLS
• Class A uniform with OA sash
• BSA Annual Health and Medical Record (parts A and B only)
• Sleeping bag/bedding
• Notebook and pen
• Water bottle
• Towel and soap for showers
• Toiletries (toothbrush, deodorant, etc.)
• Money for trading post (optional)
• Excitement and willingness to learn!